The latest in a long line of compilation albums arranged from a decidedly psychedelic pop-rock and mod-prog perspective. All in all 18 U.K. 60s and 70s psych marvels mastered from the original singles. Plenty of new-to-the-ear sounds will both engage and insinuate: Billy Fury, Rodney Bewes, Peter Nelson, Wayne Fontana, Gracious and The Cardboard Orchestra. From the label that launched the now classic “Stasera Shake!” volumes and released fine compilations like “La Discotheque Psychedelique”, “Holding A Dream” e “Mondo Girls”. Limited to 300 units, with photos, detailed bands/records informations and a full eye-catching artwork, “Jigsaw Puzzle” contains 18 obscure U.K. 60/70s Psych marvels compiled by dj Max Savana. It’s a full immersion in the Swingin’ London sounds with tracks that range from Pop-Psych to acid Groovy 45s spinned in the hippest Mod clubs, passing through more popular personalities like Billy Fury, Wayne Fontana and the TV celebrity Rodney Bewes.
There are some absolute mind-blowers here, plus, somewhat surprisingly, a few under the radar smashers too. For out and out highlights check both sides of Legay’s 1968 Fontana masterpiece, No One and The Fantastic Story Of The Steam Driven Banana, plus The Kytes’ Running In The Water. Elsewhere there’s enough to keep modern-day UFO types idiot dancing and grinning till the wee wee hours. Plenty of new-to-ear sounds will both engage and insinuate: Billy Fury, Rodney Bewes, Peter Nelson, Wayne Fontana, Gracious and The Cardboard Orchestra.
With this high level of quality control here’s hoping this one runs and runs.
- Great mastering from the original singles
- Both sides of Legay’s 1968 Fontana masterpiece, “No One” and “The Fantastic Story Of The Steam Driven Banana” open this fab UK Psych rarities comp
- Full colored insert with detailed liner notes, labels and pictures
01. Legay “No One”
02. Legay “The Fantastic Story Of The Steam Of Driven Banana
03. Billy Fury “Certain Things”
04. The Kytes “Running In The Water”
05. Julian Kirsch “Clever Little Man
06. Jigsaw “Seven Fishes”
07. Earth “Resurrection City"
08. Peter Nelson “Good Scotch Wisky”
09. O’Hara Playboys “The Ballad Of The Soon Departed
10. Wayne Fontana “In My World”
11. The Epics “Henry Long”
12. Gracious “Once On A Windy Day”
13. Rodney Bewes “Dear Mother Love Albert”
14. Carboard Orchestra “Yes I heard A Little Bird”
15. Yellow “Hobo Song”
16. The Exchange And Mart “I Know That I Am Dreaming”