In celebration of composer RYUICHI SAKAMOTO’s 70th birthday, Milan Records announces A TRIBUTE TO RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: TO THE MOON AND BACK, a collection of songs from Sakamoto’s vast catalogue newly reworked and remodeled by contemporary artists and collaborators.
Envisioned by Sakamoto’s management team and Milan Records, A TRIBUTE TO RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: TO THE MOON AND BACK features artists across generation and genre, each with their own connection to the iconic musician, and hand-selected for the project as either past collaborators, friends, admirers, or personal favorites of Sakamoto.
From contemporary admirers of Sakamoto’s work like Thundercat, Devonté Hynes, and Hildur Guðnadóttir to longtime collaborators and friends like David Sylvian, Alva Noto, Cornelius, and Fennesz, plus some of Sakamoto’s personal favorites like Lim Giong, Gabrial Wek, and 404.zero, the included artists reflect the breadth of Sakamoto’s influence on contemporary music. Given full access to the musician’s extensive catalogue of solo releases and film scores, each artist personally selected their contribution and put their unique spin on Sakamoto’s originals.
The result is a collection that reflects the many dimensions of Sakamoto’s career, from the diversity of sound the consummate musician has traversed to the continued legacy of his work on artists of all backgrounds.
01. Grains (Sweet Paulownia Wood) – David Sylvian Remodel
02. Thousand Knives – Thundercat Remodel
03. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence – Electric Youth Remodel
04. Thatness and Thereness – Cornelius Remodel
05. World Citizen I Won’t Be Disappointed – Hildur Guðnadóttir Remodel
06. The Sheltering Sky – Alva Noto Remodel
07. Amore – Fennesz Remodel
08. Choral No. 1 – Devonte Hynes Remodel
09. DNA – The Cinematic Orchestra Remodel
10. Forbidden Colors – Gabrial Wek Remodel
11. The Revenant Main Theme – 404.zero Remodel
12. Walker – Lim Giong Follow The Steps Remodel
13. With Show and Moonlight – Snow, Silence, Partially Sunny – Yoshihide Otomo Remodel